Friday, October 11, 2013

Dasi--- Where My Heart Is



                                         

     

      I was driving around the town, along the river…no purpose. Dasi, my favorite small town in north Taiwan. It was from this town that my whole family escaped to the big
city for its convenience but I chose to stay. Not only does Dasi possess rich humane history that you’ll discover if you visit The Culture Resort of The Jiang’s (Jiang Kai-shek and his son, Jiang Ching-kuo,) which represents Taiwan’s history after the 8 years Chinese and Japanese War (1937, 7.7- 1945, 9.2. the Pacific War of World War II,) but the town also preserves its original natural scenery because part of the region was a military restricted area for a long time. The ecology and environment have been protected. Wild birds and migrating birds can often be seen while walking on the ancient paths with the beautiful mountainous scenery. Even today, the forest along the paths has been well maintained. It’s my image of a Shangri-La-like world. Dasi is also known for its wooden furniture and dried tofu which bring tourists by the bus load on the weekends. That was the primary reason that drove my family away.



      I was exhausted after a whole day of work. Pretending I was driving somewhere in Europe, by the ocean, through the Black Forest then along the Rhine River. Imagining the houses on the ridges of the rolling hills were castles…then I saw a new building in a small, shabby alley. There was a real estate sign outside. I stopped the car, walked in, people there greeted me. I asked, “Do you have a unit where I have a view of the river?”
                                                                                                              
         “Sure, let me show you.”                                                                                                  
      We took the elevator to the top floor to look at the apartment. When I walked through the door, I found myself looking at a big open space which included the dining room, the living room and the balcony. The view from the balcony was so magnificent. I could even spot Shimen Reservoir, Taiwan’s third largest artificial lake with a 135-meter dam on the far left side of the balcony. I was stunned. It was as if I were dreaming.


      It was twilight. The sunset caused a pink hue which blended with the clouds as far as you could see. The water in the river was running rapidly from the mountains towards the strait. In the olden times, this used to be a port at the most upstream section of Danshui River. The river bank and the dock were often crowded with businessmen and tourists. Today, this is still a popular tourist site for the Baroque architecture on the sides of the archaic street which leads you to the bridge portrays an even more classical style. Across the river the hills were covered with a haze due to a light mist which caused the lights on the bridges to be dim… It took my breath away. I stood there speechless, thinking about the scene of returning boats in the old days...I didn't hear what the agent was babbling about. Finally I told him: “Beautiful.” Then I left.


      The first thing I did when I got back to my car was to call my brother. “Come here and bargain the price down for me.” I said.
        “What are you talking about?” He puzzled.
      “I WANT this apartment.”
        “What apartment? Are you out of your mind? Aren’t you gonna move to the US?” He recoiled.
        “Yes, but this place is mine.” I said firmly.

                                                                                                    
      My brother and sister-in-law came. They did an excellent job as usual. I got my apartment in three days without telling anyone else even though I’d never considered buying a house in Taiwan.


      I was so occupied the next couple of months. At first, I’d flown to the US on the next Friday to tell Mick what I did. That was the first time I knew how much I’d been spoiled rotten by him. We went to Borders and Barnes & Noble. We sat there with a cup of coffee, read and bought tons of magazines and books on designing and decorating… to take back with me to Taiwan on the following Sunday. Then I had the contractors come to do what I wanted to fulfill my dream. I went there after my work every day. I looked outside from the balcony for hours and danced as if I were a princess. I felt completely satisfied that I have a home that provides a broad view and scenery overlooking the Dahan River. With binoculars I can even see the street performers at the entrance of the Dasi Bridge, the place bustles with music and various performances on holidays such as the spinning tops, a specialty of Dasi. I love the quiet and invigorating town. I did as much as I could for the DIY part. I had a big toolbox from Mick that included everything you could think of including electric drill, saber saw, a level, and much more. It even surprised the carpenter who worked for me. To top it off, he was more surprised that I actually knew how to use the tools and did a pretty good job. This is unusual for even a man who grew up in Taiwan. We’ll just simply call someone to do the job for us because it’s cheap relative to the US.

    
        Back to the reality, the fact is Mick hates the weather in Taiwan. He visited Taiwan much more often before we were married. As you know, “Men are all alike.” How many times has he gone back to Taiwan with me after we were married
in these ten years? Four times out of twenty. He’ll say, “Sweetie, you know the humidity there kills me. Besides my stomach can’t really enjoy the food even though you know I love Chinese food…” What else can I say? That’s true. It is so easy for him to get diarrhea in Taiwan, a bad one. What else can I say? Except… “Men are all alike.”


        Yes, my home is here in California. Yes, I do like the weather here. Yes, I do enjoy the carefree life we have. Yes, I do love our big backyard. Nevertheless, do you know where my heart is? Somewhere across the Pacific Ocean, sometime in the future, somewhere sometime with the one I love, the one who loves me, sharing my dream… in this small town, Dasi.


                                                                                                                 




     

       

     


The Culture Resort of The Jiang's


The Baroque architecture buildings in the old town.


The ancient paths in Dasi


Shimen Dam


Dasi Bridge





Wooden furniture business in Dasi


Dasi's Dried tofu 









22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where my heart is 其實是我三年前寫的
    http://peanut757767.blogspot.com/2013/10/where-my-heart-is.html
    下星期一我們要交一篇profile paper, 這是我今天修飾後的版本
    不知道是不是profile enough???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, John.
      Am I going to get an A? ^ _ *

      Delete
    2. 到留言管理,左邊選擇設定,裡面有選項要否驗證 選否即可
      另外你也可選任何人都可留言

      Delete
    3. OK了
      Thanks!
      我這篇拿到A,不是A++++++++++++++
      我已經很滿足了,上一篇是A-, ^ _ ^
      剛烤完60幾個鳳梨酥,我快倒斃了...

      Delete
    4. 為何只給A,有問老師嗎
      是土鳳梨酥嗎?

      Delete
    5. 要問喔???
      土是什麼意思?

      Delete
    6. 對啊 這樣才知問題在哪改進
      妳真土耶 虧妳常跟台灣往來,去孤狗即知

      Delete
    7. 那老師已經每堂課都點我了,實在不想讓他更注意我 @@"
      我知道大部分的人都拿B+
      去問的話,好像有點那個...算了啦~

      我一年多沒回台灣了
      就算回去,那麼多美食,哪裡輪的到鳳梨酥?
      小氣鬼,你就不會幫我省點事,給一個link?
      也罷,我待會去找孤狗兄

      Delete
    8. 喔 原來他喜歡你了 既是最高分 那就罷了
      因為我更懶 ^ ^ 找到了嗎

      Delete
  4. 我不知道有沒有A+
    還沒找,但剛在Ranch 99有比較~加一個土字比較貴,裡面沒冬瓜

    ReplyDelete