Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Nouveau Riche--- Trouble Came Across the Pacific Ocean






        Littlefish is my best friend here in the US. Fate connected us eight years ago in the
ESL class for adults downtown. We both got here using K1 visas in the year of 2003, and are both easygoing people. She is from Shanghai; I am from Taiwan. Despite the different experiences, there was a lot we can talk about and share. Soon we became two peas in a pod.

        My mom was visiting my brother and sister-in-law in Shanghai while Littlefish went back there for summer vacation three years ago. So my best friend and my dear family met and had a nice evening at a restaurant without me. I called my mom to see how things went. Everything seemed quite well until my brother asked me, “Do you think Littlefish and her husband is the nouveau riche?”
        “Of course not.” I said without thinking.
        “Oh, well, I don’t think you think that way, either. Just to let you know that our mother told Littlefish today, “My daughter said you’re nouveau riche…” I didn't think it was nice.”
        Gee! What was my mom doing?! I asked my mom despairingly, “Why did you say that?”
        My mom answered as a matter of course, “Didn't you say that they’re rich?”
        “Yes.” I replied weakly.
        “So, they’re the nouveau riche.” My mom rebounded.
        “But, mom---That’s different!” I cried.
        “Sure they’re the same.” She continued, “That means they are the new generation rich people. What was wrong with saying that? You and your brother just tried to make a mountain out of a mole hill.”

        I was speechless. Could I tell my mom that two wrongs do not make a right? It bothered me so I checked the word thoroughly that day. The words were first used in ancient Greece, 8th century B.C. It often referred to as parvenu. Members of the nouveau riche are often discriminated against by the "Old Money" sects of society since they lack the proper pedigree. It means people who have recently acquired wealth, typically those perceived as ostentatious or lacking in good taste. It doesn’t sound good. How am I going to find a way out of this dilemma? I discussed this with Mick. He said this is what Americans will say, “to put your foot in your mouth.” He also mentioned that the Kennedy family was shut out of high society because they were Catholic and nouveau riche. I didn't think he knew that he had just come out with something to save my friendship with Littlefish. How does that sound--- To be compared to the Kennedy family?

        Later on that day, I called my sister in Chicago. She sighed and said, “That sounds like something our mom would do. Don’t you remember…?” We had a good chat and laughed for an hour. Finally she told me, “It’s necessary for you to explain to Littlefish. You don’t want anything to interfere with your friendship with her.” And this was the last sentence she said, “Trouble came across the Pacific Ocean to you while you were doing nothing at home.”



33 comments:

  1. 下禮拜要交一篇Definition Essay
    老師說 A definition essay defines a word, term, or concept in depth by providing a personal commentary on what the specific subject means.......Strive to illustrate your point with a personal story. Think Narrative.
    這陣子課業實在繁重.我又偷懶把三年前寫的文章翻出來加油添醋一番...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 這篇文章很棒!
    http://grammar.about.com/od/shortpassagesforanalysis/a/harrisjerkstyle.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. 妳可以設定留言不要密碼認證嗎
      那個很煩 而且數字都看不清處

      Delete
    2. 哈~那你先把你家弄好,然後教我
      我每次回你的還不是很煩

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. 你在這混得比我久~連這都到現在才知道,看來你還不是普通的被動式 @@"

      Delete
    2. 我很少去別人那哈拉 故不知有這種限制 非被動

      Delete
    3. 喔~那謝謝你來我這哈啦

      Delete
    4. 不用謝啦 感到榮幸即可 ^ ^

      Delete
    5. Why not? 你別那麼愛問奇怪的問題

      Delete
    6. 因你答案奇怪呀

      Delete
    7. 哪裡奇怪?
      不能寫Me too? 一定要寫 I am happy too?

      Delete
    8. 不是
      您感榮幸 我很happy很正常
      妳幹嘛又happy?

      Delete
    9. 我happy,因為你happy呀.笨!

      Delete
    10. What's the nickname for LF in google blog? How come I don't see her here?

      Delete
  5. I don't think she has one. It seems to me she uses wechat only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have too many friends with too many names, like angel baby cafe, Yuki, peggy...
      Would you give me your friend list with cross reference so I know whom we are talking about?

      Delete
  6. angel baby cafe, Yuki, peggy都是Peggy
    好像也只有她有這麼多名字

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 天哪,她是躲奶粉錢嗎?還是狡兔要三窟?

      Delete
    2. 部落格的名稱,中文名,英文名
      也還好啦~難不成你也是狡兔三窟

      Delete
    3. 是啊,妳不都跟人介紹過了?

      Delete
  7. 我哪有那麼神通廣大!我可不知你另外兩窟在哪裡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 有的,她問過客聲音很熟,妳自己跟人說了都忘了

      Delete
  8. 答非所問,但算了
    翻篇

    ReplyDelete