Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Thoughts about "To Make The Run"

What do you think the meaning of the book's title?
http://www.amazon.com/To-Make-Run-Seafarers-Memoir/dp/0974412422


In the book, Gladstone wrote a portion of his life when he was a sailor. His narrative leads you to experience a completely different life on the sea. I envy those sailors, who as the author described, can leave all the problems behind when they go out to sea. I can almost feel the lightness, carefree and the serenity of the anticipated trip. However, do all the problems ashore disappear? I doubt it. On the other hand, we all know that "Time heals," so, sailing away for a period of time, out of sight, out of mind, is not a bad idea. Over the years I've heard a lot of people say, "I'm going to take a vacation, get away from everything and clear my mind." I think, we are all the same. The sailors attitude is in our blood.







5 comments:

  1. This is a quote from chapter one.
    "... as my career unfolded and the years passed, I became convinced that in life, "first things first." In order to learn a trade or profession, you must first, if you will, learn "to make the run." Then the teaching and learning can begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 這是他海上生活的第一件工作
    "This, my very first job, would be my baptism under fire, and will have to be executed with a certain degree of judicious aplomb."
    他必須冒險犯難用收集來的錢(都是些well-worn dollar bills)偷溜下船買瓶Jack Daniels,因為所有人都pretty thirsty...

    ReplyDelete