Monday, September 2, 2013

How We Met--- Was It April Fool’s Day for Yu?

                                                                                      
      He asked me: “What’s your name?” on Nov. 8th, 1990.
      “I don’t have an English name. Why don’t you give me one?” I answered.
      He looked at the tiny peanut on the necklace I wore and said: “How about…Peanut?”
      “OK.”

      Many of my lovely friends here have asked me: “How did you meet your hubby?” Curiosity probably is one of the reasons why the world is still exciting… Well, to tell the story, I have to thank Peter.
      Taipei, my home town, was a terrible mess due to the construction of the MRT system 23 years ago. Streets were dug up, buildings destroyed, new buildings being constructed, heavy equipment everywhere, mounds of dirt and so many workers it looked like a colony of ants. It was a dark time for Taipei’s traffic. All this construction did not help Taipei’s notorious pollution. The MRT project brought in many engineers from all over the world. One of my best friends, Julia, had a fiancé named Mike, one of the engineers from Britain. Julia asked if I would like to meet one of Mike’s colleagues. I know what she was thinking.  She was hoping that the colleague and I would somehow like each other, fall in love… and end up immigrating to England with her. Then she would have a good friend there and would not be lonely.
      So, we met in a pub. Julia and Mike were very thoughtful. They left early so Peter and I could spend some “quality” time together. The problem is…. How can I describe Peter?  There are only two words------ boring and ugly.
       I told him: “Why don’t you go home first!”
     “Oh~no, I promised Julia that I’ll see you home.”
       “But, but… I have friends over there and I would like to join them.” I said.
     “Really? Where?”
     “I’ll show you.” So I stood up and walked to the back of the dimly lit pub. Eyes searching…. There!!!
       I saw him sitting at a big table alone. He was well dressed and well groomed. His blue eyes sparkled in the dim light. He was a very handsome gentleman. I made eye contact with him. He smiled. So I walked to the table, sat down, grabbed his arm and quickly whispered: “Tell him you’re my friend and you’re going to see me home.” He gave me a big smile and he did.
That’s how we met. I FOUND HIM!
      I learned later that he was an instructor with United Airlines and his specialty was Boeing 757, 767 avionics and autopilot.  He had just finished teaching a class and his students had taken him to the pub. When I saw him, at that very moment, his students had just gone to the bar ordering beer and food.
He was leaving Taipei in two days. It was the beginning of a long friendship that led to marriage. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, isn't it?
      I've always wanted to write down how we met because I know memories do fade, so I took a trip down memory lane. I don’t know what April fool day means to you, but we were married on April first, 2003. Sometimes I wonder if that was an April fool’s trick my husband played on me.



43 comments:

  1. Happy 19th anniversary to you! I always love to see your story of this. I wish I had courage and chance like you, but I know there won't be any chance in my life. Sometimes when the chance slips, it will not come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 謝謝你,好朋友.
    機會是留給有緣人的
    但緣分可能不是坐在家裡就會從天上掉下來
    你是男生,還是主動一些比較好
    大概沒有太多女生像我一樣臉皮厚...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not 臉皮厚, you are smart and brave.
    I don't need 主動.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 你是連假被關在某地嗎?
    怎會有美國時間看我部落格?
    多謝誇獎~我幫你總結~
    我是一個又聰明又勇敢又有好運氣的女人
    ^ _ ^
    隨你~Be that way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 對,回台北
      因為妳最近開放啊
      是的
      謝成全

      Delete
  5. 開車還是坐高鐵?
    太閒了找事做
    啊!沒被貶~開心
    不客氣,不對盤的人不見面也罷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 高鐵
      也不是,看以前自己的留言好陌生挺有趣的
      嗯嗯
      迷錯

      Delete
  6. 我喜歡
    要是你不刪以前的文,現在看來應該會更有趣

    這是什麼意思

    ReplyDelete
  7. 為什麼
    那時的我太衝動

    沒錯之意

    ReplyDelete
  8. 可以好整以暇賞景賞人
    其實也好,棄我去者昨日之日不可留
    為什麼說"迷"

    ReplyDelete
  9. 也對
    不是,是生不帶來 死不帶去
    網路慣用語啊

    ReplyDelete
  10. 台灣開車太辛苦
    活在當下及時行樂似乎比較重要
    沒聽過

    ReplyDelete
  11. 看妳趕不趕時間
    老生常談
    妳去問在台灣的人

    ReplyDelete
  12. 你在台灣有車嗎
    卻難做到
    懶得問

    ReplyDelete
  13. 我現在回台灣不敢開車了
    可以盡量試著做
    好吧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 妳真住在這就會開了
      大家也都這麼說

      Delete
  14. 還是算了,買車太貴
    老生常談

    ReplyDelete
  15. 那得運氣好才行
    又迷 @@”

    ReplyDelete
  16. 多謝吉言
    我覺得我的兩個老爸在天上時常看護著我

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. 記性真差,我跟你說過的
      生父和養父

      Delete
    2. 我們失聯這麼久 妳好意思說我記性?

      Delete
    3. 要不然下次如果有人要失蹤一個禮拜以上的話,先告知一聲好不好

      Delete
    4. 妳的朋友有告知妳的話我就告知

      Delete
  18. 當我沒說,咱倆就各自蕭灑走一回吧

    ReplyDelete